Dir My Documents\Atlantis\ is unwanted

General comments and questions. Technical support.
Polarigel

Dir My Documents\Atlantis\ is unwanted

Post by Polarigel »

Hi
I just upgraded to Atlantis 3.1.1.
Every time I start Atlantis the sofware creates a directory in "My Documents". I don't want any new dirs there.

I tried
1. starting Atlantis by command line (awp.exe /lsi /ssi /sfn "[Program Dir]l\Atlantis.ini"
2. Using an existing dir for he option "suggest saving documents to:"

How can I stop that behaviour? I downgraded to version 1 again and will stay there until this is solved.

Polarigel
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You cannot stop that behavior. The "My documents" folder is meant for user-specific "document files" (editable files). The user's document templates, spellcheck lexicons, clips, favorites, etc are stored under "My documents\Atlantis".
StewCam

Post by StewCam »

Atlantis 3 portable version can be set to use a directory on USB stick. If you stick with the portable version, the Atlantis folder in My Documents can be deleted and is not re-created. Works for me!
Polarigel

Post by Polarigel »

Thank you for your answer!

I would prefer a portable version to start with, but a portable Atlantis install seems to be possible only on USB-sticks (http://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com/en ... 4aa9907f64). I have a perfectly working harddisk, and won't install standard software on an USB-stick to make it behave on my system

Is there any way to make Atlantis on a harddisk believe it's installed on a stick?

Polarigel
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry, this is not possible.
lynneconnolly

Post by lynneconnolly »

Install it on a different partition.
Lynne Connolly
mekineer

Post by mekineer »

I notice in the executable for Atlantis that there is a dialog that exists, but I can't find it in the application. ChangeSysFolderFrm sound familiar? It is for moving Atlantis System Folders. Would that do the trick?
Attachments
system-folders.jpg
system-folders.jpg (99.25 KiB) Viewed 9458 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This dialog is used when you choose a new folder for the Atlantis Backup Files.
mekineer

Post by mekineer »

Ah, too bad. I had my hopes up that it would be a way to move the Atlantis folders to where they belong, with the program.

Every program I use, that I want to keep, I try to make portable, and these program reside on the same partition as my documents.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Currently you cannot create a portable copy of Atlantis Word Processor on a "fixed" (non-removable) drive.
mekineer

Post by mekineer »

Thanks for your response. I hope you will consider this a feature request.
Csiga

Post by Csiga »

admin wrote:The "My documents" folder is meant for user-specific "document files" (editable files). The user's document templates, spellcheck lexicons, clips, favorites, etc are stored under "My documents\Atlantis".
I think this is a misunderstanding of the Windows folder hierarchy and the User Data Deployment Guide. The My Documents / Documents folder is meant for user _created_ files, aka. documents. Application data and settings (templates, spellcheck lexicons, clips, etc.) should be stored under AppData/Local or AppData/Roaming.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previo ... 9(v=ws.10)
Last edited by Csiga on Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mekineer

Post by mekineer »

Thanks Csiga! That would work for me too.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Templates and clips can hardly be called “Application data and settings”. The Atlantis default templates and clips are just suggestions: they can all be replaced with your own templates and clips which are then truly and fully user-specific.
mekineer

Post by mekineer »

Robert wrote: "The Atlantis default templates and clips are just suggestions: they can all be replaced with your own templates and clips which are then truly and fully user-specific."

When saving your own template or clip, just like any other user created work, you could be asked where you want to save it.

I don't see the logic in the Atlantis developer's choice. I think any other location for the default templates, other than the user's documents, would be better.
Robert

Post by Robert »

You might end up with several main folders for templates and clips. When creating a document from template, you’d have to know where you stored the template of interest and direct Atlantis to the appropriate folder. As for clips, which folder should Atlantis be displaying on the Control Board? The folder hosting its own default clips, or your own?
This would be quite cumbersome for Atlantis and for most end-users…
mekineer

Post by mekineer »

I start documents from the File Explorer.
Perhaps some users only know to work from within Atlantis?

As for clips, it's the same. I now where my own personal clips are. They don't have to be mixed with the ones in Atlantis.

Here's a paradigm comparing clips library to a music library:

I have my favorite songs all organized into folders. I try to keep the number of folders manageable, so I can easily navigate to the genre of music I want to listen to. But some Music Player named Atlantis, throws new folders into my hierarchy, making it harder for me to find what I want. You see, I don't really care for the atlantis music genres. I have my own.

Maybe the developer really likes his genres, but as life would have it, not everyone likes the same things.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Most of the user-specific files of Atlantis Word Processor should not be stored under hidden folders. This is because users should have a convenient way to access them in order to modify, delete or backup them.

Storing such files under the "My documents" folder is completely acceptable and widely used by other popular applications.
Robert

Post by Robert »

You cannot create a document from a template if you start from File Explorer. It has to be done from within Atlantis.
You cannot use the Atlantis Clip Library if you have placed your own clips in a different folder from the default folder.
If you only work from File Explorer, you miss the practicality of the Atlantis Clip library and the “Create new document from template” command.
In any case, if your personal folders are well-organized, it should be quite easy to ignore the Atlantis folder in any folder hierarchy within File Explorer.