Columns and sections

General comments and questions. Technical support.
janniklindquist

Columns and sections

Post by janniklindquist »

Hi,

How can I "lock" column settings to a given section, so to speak, so that text will only appear in columns within a given section. I have a document which starts with has two sections on page one and then a third section on page two. The second section is seperated from the first by a continous break and from the third section by a next page break.

I can easily format the second section to have two columns, of course, but when I type additional text with that section the columns "carry over" to the next section. How can I avoid that?

Thanks,
Jannik
Robert

Re: Columns carry over

Post by Robert »

Greetings--
When you type additional text within columns and there isn't enough space to insert the text on the same page, the text is automatically carried over to the next page, along with the columns.
When you use columns, you have to make sure that all the text that you want to insert within the columns fits into one single page. Otherwise, the column formatting will carry over to the next page.
The only way to avoid this is to type less text, or format it with a smaller font size. You could also try to adjust space before and after paragraphs to minimize text size.
Also use the Sections panel of the Control Board to make sure that the third section is formatted with the appropriate number of columns (a single column in your example).
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Robert
janniklindquist

Re: Columns carry over

Post by janniklindquist »

Robert wrote:Greetings--
When you type additional text within columns and there isn't enough space to insert the text on the same page, the text is automatically carried over to the next page, along with the columns.
When you use columns, you have to make sure that all the text that you want to insert within the columns fits into one single page. Otherwise, the column formatting will carry over to the next page.
The only way to avoid this is to type less text, or format it with a smaller font size. You could also try to adjust space before and after paragraphs to minimize text size.
Also use the Sections panel of the Control Board to make sure that the third section is formatted with the appropriate number of columns (a single column in your example).
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Robert
Greetings Robert,

I was trying to create a template with the described behaviour - but I think the solution is simply to format the document after it has been written.

Thanks,
Jannik
Robert

Re: Columns carry over (2)

Post by Robert »

janniklindquist wrote:I was trying to create a template with the described behaviour - but I think the solution is simply to format the document after it has been written.
Greetings--
What you must bear in mind is that word processors fit as much text as possible within a single page, and then carry any surplus over to the next. This is true whether the current text is formatted with one or several columns. There is no way to prearrange a different behaviour.
Cheers
Robert