two colums with independend two language text

General comments and questions. Technical support.

two colums with independend two language text

Post by Guest »

If editing two language texts, eg. english / french, it would be very helpful to have the the two texts in one document but in two colums with independend text, feature not offered by available standard colums formats, neither in Atlantis nor in many other text processors I tried.
Can anybody out there give me please a few tips how to achieve this either within atlantis or without?
Robert

Re: spellchecking 2 columns with independent language

Post by Robert »

Greetings–
I am afraid you are completely mistaken about this.
In all word processors, texts are spellchecked according to the language they are marked with. If you have part of a document in English, and that text is marked with the English language, Atlantis, like any other word processor, will spellcheck it as an English text. If some other part of the same document is marked as French, Atlantis, like any other word processor, will spellcheck it as a French text.
Now to answer your question directly, it does not matter if the different language-specific fragments of text are placed in one single column (no column) or in separate columns. Portions of text marked with English will be spellchecked as English text, portions of text marked with French will be spellchecked as French text.
To mark text in Atlantis:
1. Select the target fragment of text.
2. Click “Format | Language…” and choose the appropriate language from the list.
3. OK out of the dialog.
Note that you can use the drop-down menu attached to the “Language” toolbar button if you have already marked a text with the same language.
Cheers
Robert
luha

Post by luha »

I suspect that he wants to have two texts in the same document: One text that starts in the left column of page 1 and that continues in the left column of page 2, 3 etc, and another text in the right column of page 1,2,3 etc. Then he could have a Norsk text in the left columns, and a Yachatvhpfish text in the right columns.

mvh
Sigurd Hasle
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The newspaper columns work in a different way. He/she needs a two-column table.
luha

Post by luha »

I think the closest you can get is to open two different documents and tile them beside each other. Then you can scroll up and down each document separately. The two texts won't scroll simultaneously, but at least you can see them on the screen at the same time.

mvh
Sigurd Haſle

=> he/she needs a two-column table

Post by guest »

Thank you all for your ideas & suggestions.
I meanwhile solved the task indeed by implementing a series
of two-column tables in a Word - Document. (sorry, the
same should be possible with Open Office.)
This way my english an french text blocs stay nicely
togeher even with their natural different length
(french text bloc are longer than english ones)
and even over page breaks.
This way organizing text blocs in several languages
should be quite common with publicity, technical documentations etc.
I did not try tables with Atlantis yet, but I think to have
understood from other discussions that tables will come later.
However I now think this function will be helpful once
implemented, and why not as real "independent colums",
easyer to handle as tables. This feature would be unique with
Atlantis!
Thanks again
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If the "columns" worked in Atlantis in this way, no other word processor would display (render) the Atlantis documents properly. The "newspaper columns" are supposed to work as they work in Atlantis and other word processors. Regrettably tables seem to be the only solution.