Headers

General comments and questions. Technical support.
Poggy

Headers

Post by Poggy »

I'm having problems with headers in Atlantis 1.5, which I'm evaluating. I need to change chapter numbers in the header, at the beginning of each chapter, which apparently calls for unchecking "Same as previous" and then making the modification.

The "Same as previous" button is permanently grayed out--cannot be toggled on--and the heading does not display "Same as previous to the upper right of the header. Yet any change I make is forced upon all the previous pages. Is this a defect, or a feature left out of the trial version, or what?
Robert

Re: I'm having problems with headers

Post by Robert »

Poggy wrote: I'm having problems with headers in Atlantis 1.5, which I'm evaluating. I need to change chapter numbers in the header, at the beginning of each chapter, which apparently calls for unchecking "Same as previous" and then making the modification.

The "Same as previous" button is permanently grayed out--cannot be toggled on--and the heading does not display "Same as previous to the upper right of the header. Yet any change I make is forced upon all the previous pages. Is this a defect, or a feature left out of the trial version, or what?
Hi, Poggy!
As indicated in the Atlantis help, headers (and footers) are SECTION-dependent features.
Simply insert a section break before any portion of document for which you want a different header.
In your case, before you can change a chapter header, you must insert a section break at the end of the previous chapter.
The "Same As previous" button will then be operative in the next header. Toggle it on or off as desired.
Be careful. If you want a header to be different, toggle the "Same As previous" feature off BEFORE changing headers.
If you don't, any change in the current header will automatically be reflected in the previous header(s).
Cheers,
Robert
poggy

Headers

Post by poggy »

Thanks for the help, Robert. Sorry to be tardy getting back to you. I inserted a section break (continuous) at the end of the chapter. Upon double-clicking the header on the following page, the "Same as previous" symbol came to life, and "Same as previous" now shows above the header.

Unfortunately, clicking on the symbol does not toggle it off. It's stuck on "on." So I'm effectively where I was before, with no way to change a header without changing all of them. I don't understand why it changed all of them before, when the symbol was grayed out and no "Same as previous" showed above the header.

But there are a lot of things I don't understand.

Jim T.
Robert

Re: Headers

Post by Robert »

poggy wrote: Thanks for the help, Robert. Sorry to be tardy getting back to you. I inserted a section break (continuous) at the end of the chapter. Upon double-clicking the header on the following page, the "Same as previous" symbol came to life, and "Same as previous" now shows above the header.

Unfortunately, clicking on the symbol does not toggle it off. It's stuck on "on."
Hi, Jim!
If I understand what you write correctly, you call the "Same as Previous" caption located above the headers a "symbol".
And you have been trying to click on that assumed "symbol". But this "Same as Previous" caption is NOT clickable.
So it is not surprising that you are not getting any response.
What you must do is click the "Same as Previous" TOOLBAR BUTTON on the special Header toolbar.
Cheers,
Robert
poggy

Headers

Post by poggy »

Robert...

No, by symbol I meant the toolbar button. It's locked on "Same as previous" whereas before it was locked on grayed out, with no "Same as previous" just above the header. So one could say that inserting the Section Break toggled it on. But clicking the toolbar button with the mouse doesn't toggle anything.

Jim T.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If the "Same As Previous" toolbar button is unchecked (is in the unpressed state), this means that the current section has its own (independent) header. If you modify this header, your changes would not affect the preceding sections and their headers.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please click the following link for more details on headers and footers in Atlantis:
http://www.rssol.com/en/html/chronicl/a ... 1_5_0a.htm
poggy

Headers

Post by poggy »

admin wrote: If the "Same As Previous" toolbar button is unchecked (is in the unpressed state), this means that the current section has its own (independent) header. If you modify this header, your changes would not affect the preceding sections and their headers.
If I start a new document, type some on the first page, then create a header, then move to the next page and type some, I'll have two pages with text and headers. The "Same as Previous" button will be grayed out, and no "Same as Previous" text appears above either header. This would seem to indicate that there is an independent header. But changes made to the second header affect the first header.

If I then place a continuous section break after the text on the first page, the toolbar button is no longer grayed out, and I have "Same as Previous above the second header, to the right. "Section 1 header" and "Section 2 Header" appear above and on the left of the respective headers. I'm now in a position to toggle the "Same as Previous" button off and create an independent header, right? But the button doesn't respond to mouse clicks. Nothing changes. Changes made to the second header of course affect the first header.

I'll read the information in the link you sent and see what I can find that applies.

Jim T.
Robert

Re: Headers (2)

Post by Robert »

poggy wrote: If I start a new document, type some on the first page, then create a header, then move to the next page and type some, I'll have two pages with text and headers. The "Same as Previous" button will be grayed out, and no "Same as Previous" text appears above either header. This would seem to indicate that there is an independent header. But changes made to the second header affect the first header.

If I then place a continuous section break after the text on the first page, the toolbar button is no longer grayed out, and I have "Same as Previous above the second header, to the right. "Section 1 header" and "Section 2 Header" appear above and on the left of the respective headers. I'm now in a position to toggle the "Same as Previous" button off and create an independent header, right? But the button doesn't respond to mouse clicks. Nothing changes. Changes made to the second header of course affect the first header.
Hi, Jim!

1) All documents are divided in sections by default. There cannot be a document without at least one section.
So when you have a document with no section break, that whole document actually has one (whole) section by default.
2) Also by default, that single whole section is considered to be the FIRST section of your document.
3) The "Same as Previous" (header) attribute/command means "same header as that of the previous SECTION".

So, when there is only one whole section, there cannot be a header with the "same header as that of the previous section" attribute. In this particular case, there is NO "previous section"!

This is why you are not getting any "same as previous" indication in this particular case. You must have at least 2 sections for the "same as previous" indication to appear.

Note:
When there is only one section (or within any one section among multiple sections), you can have different headers depending on the type of page:
- section first page header,
- section odd pages header,
- section even pages header.
You can select any of these 3 different header types for the pages of that section from the Layout tab in the Page Settings dialog (double-click on the vertical ruler).
In this same dialog, you can also choose to apply your header choices to the current section or to the whole document.
Note that BY DEFAULT headers are the same for all page types of any given section.

4) If you have "Section 2 Header" and "Same as Previous" above a Section 2 header, the header toolbar "Same as Previous" button is functional.
If you want to have a different header for that second section, you must

a) place the insertion cursor (caret) inside the Section 2 target header,
b) toggle the header toolbar "Same as Previous" button OFF,
c) select the existing Section 2 header contents (if any), then press the DEL key,
d) type or insert new content in this Section 2 header.

This will give you a different header for the second section compared to that of the previous (first) section.
Changes made to the second section header(s) in this way will NOT affect the first section header(s).

Hope things are clearer now.
Don't hesitate to come back to us if you have any more questions.
Cheers,
Robert
poggy

Headers

Post by poggy »

Robert...

Thanks for hanging in there. I know a little more now, but the problem remains:

4) If you have "Section 2 Header" and "Same as Previous" above a Section 2 header, the header toolbar "Same as Previous" button is functional.

[Yes. Well, it's "on."]

If you want to have a different header for that second section, you must

a) place the insertion cursor (caret) inside the Section 2 target header,

[Did that]

b) toggle the header toolbar "Same as Previous" button OFF,

[Unless toggle consists of a more involved rite than clicking on the toolbar button, it doesn't work. Nothing happens, and changes to the Section 2 Header continue to affect the Section 1 Header. Other similar toggle buttons, such as Show/Hide Text, work.]

c) select the existing Section 2 header contents (if any), then press the DEL key,

[Header contents disappear in Section 1 header as well.]

d) type or insert new content in this Section 2 header.

[Contents naturally appear in all headers]

So the basic problem remains: the toolbar "Same as Previous" button, once functional, won't toggle off. Other than that, the program works fine, although I haven't tried all functions.

Jim T.
Robert

Re: Headers (3)

Post by Robert »

poggy wrote: Unless toggle consists of a more involved rite than clicking on the toolbar button, it doesn't work. Nothing happens
Hi, Jim!
If you have the "Section 2 Header" and "Same as Previous" captions above a Section 2 header,
and you have placed the insertion cursor inside that same Section 2 header,
and you click on the header toolbar "Same as Previous" button, the "Same as Previous" caption above the Section 2 header should disappear.
If it doesn't, then you have a faulty version or install of Atlantis. We suggest that you uninstall Atlantis first, then re-download, then reinstall.

Alternatively, you could send such a faulty document (with Section 2 header "same as previous" caption that won't be toggled off) to comment@rssol.com.

A general remark about chapters and section breaks.
As new chapters are traditionally started on a new page, I suggest that you use "next page" section breaks at the end of your chapters.
Chapters will then naturally end with a section break and start on a new page.
Cheers,
Robert
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The attached document demonstrates two sections and two independent headers:
http://www.rssol.com/en/html/atl10_beta ... eaders.zip