Saving encrypted documents - cursor

General comments and questions. Technical support.

Saving encrypted documents - cursor

Post by Guest »

An hourglass cursor when encrypted documents are being saved would stop Atlantis seeming to 'freeze' on my P200mx with 100mb ram.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The "save encrypted document" and "open encrypted document" are quite slow operations as for your PC. You simply should be more patient.

Slow Operations

Post by Guest »

I know, slow operations are what the hourglass cursor is for. Without it you're left waiting wondering whether/when the operation is finished.
Also if you're not used to it , you might think the computer's hung.

(On the open there's no problem as you can see when the document is opened. )

To clarify

Post by Guest »

Its not the length of time it takes but that there's no indication when the save is finished/not finished... a status bar message or something else would do instead but the hourglass is what's usually used.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When you are saving a document, there is a progress indication in the status bar.

oops

Post by Guest »

You're right. I haven't been using the status bar... I guess I could make sure that's showing but it seems silly to have to when there's a standard method of dealing with this.

What worst is with auto save on - every so often the computer freezes for a couple of seconds (out of the blue cause you don't know when save is going to happen) and without any indication of why you keystrokes have no effect or when they will again. This makes auto save so annoying when using encrypted documents that I have to turn it off.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote: What worst is with auto save on - every so often the computer freezes for a couple of seconds (out of the blue cause you don't know when save is going to happen) and without any indication of why you keystrokes have no effect or when they will again. This makes auto save so annoying when using encrypted documents that I have to turn it off.
I assume you mean Safeguard (as auto save)?

Have you tried assigning a sound effect to Safeguard? Even if you don't like using sounds effects you could disable all but this one. It might give some warning of when a save is happening.

Point it to "Windows\Media\notify.wav" or some other short wav file.

Thanks

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the idea its a good one. but I don't think this is only going to be a problem for me.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The latest build of Atlantis also includes the "Initializing encryption ..." progress indication in the status bar. If the "View | Status Bar" command is checked in your Atlantis, it should include progress indication for each stage of the document encryption ("Initializing encryption", "Saving document", and "CRC Check").
yelodena

Post by yelodena »

How could the cursor open a window without clicking on it? When a program was running a virus scan while minimized, my cursor went over the taskbar and the window was opened even though I did not click, how could that happen?
Last edited by yelodena on Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Which window got opened? Was it the Atlantis window? Or that of the virus scanner?
Were you saving a document from Atlantis? Was it an encrypted or normal document?
Which program was scanning for viruses? Which file(s) was it scanning?