Cursor Position Not Saved

General comments and questions. Technical support.
writenow

Cursor Position Not Saved

Post by writenow »

Cursor position is no longer being saved. I work with very long documents and am frustrated with trying to find where I left off every time I open Atlantis.

PLEASE tell me how to fix the problem or tell me what version I need to revert to. Currently I am using 1.6.5.7.

Thanks
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hi,
Tools | Options > Load/Save Tab
Make sure “Save cursor position” is checked.
Cheers,
Robert
writenow

Post by writenow »

Load/Save - Save cursor position IS checked.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Are your documents in the “*.doc” format?
Unless I am mistaken, the cursor position cannot be saved in the “*.doc” format.
Use the “*.docx” or “*.rtf” format instead.
HTH.
Robert

Post by Robert »

In any case, you have got an easy workaround: you can place a bookmark where you want to go back to.
writenow

ALL FIXED

Post by writenow »

Thanks for trying to help, Robert, but your fixes aren't really fixes. I NEVER use .doc format or .docx.

I wasn't looking for a work around and I don't think I should have to use Bookmarks on all my open files, every time I shut down the program. Whew!! :)

I came back here to post my fix.

I UNchecked the Save Cursor Position box. Moved the cursor around a bit, then closed Atlantis. When I opened it again, I went to Tools\Options\LoadSave and marked Save Cursor Position. Again I moved the cursor in several of the open files, shut down Atlantis. When I pulled it up again, all the cursors were where I'd left them.

Apparently, it just needed to be reset. Don't know what kicked it out of gear in the first place, but if anyone has a similar problem, they can try resetting and restarting.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You do not need to "re-check" any option or restart Atlantis. When the "Save cursor position" option is checked, Atlantis saves the current cursor position to the document file every time you save the document. The cursor position is saved to the document file. You need to save the document for the cursor position to be saved to the file.
writenow

Post by writenow »

admin wrote:You do not need to "re-check" any option or restart Atlantis. When the "Save cursor position" option is checked, Atlantis saves the current cursor position to the document file every time you save the document. The cursor position is saved to the document file. You need to save the document for the cursor position to be saved to the file.
If you read my original post, you will see where I stated that Atlantis was NOT saving the cursor position. When I looked at the Load/Save options, "Save cursor position" WAS checked. Otherwise, I wouldn't have come here looking for help.

UNchecking and REchecking fixed my problem.

Thank you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think it was just a coincidence. Clicking that checkbox only toggles the corresponding option (flag) within the Atlantis settings. This flag is examined only when you are about to save a document.
writenow

Post by writenow »

admin wrote:I think it was just a coincidence. Clicking that checkbox only toggles the corresponding option (flag) within the Atlantis settings. This flag is examined only when you are about to save a document.
I wasn't complaining about Atlantis. Only saying something caused it to stop working the way it should. It went on for weeks. Now it's fixed.