Tables

Request new features or suggest modifications to existing features of Atlantis.
lois.cpc

Tables

Post by lois.cpc »

Please, add tables support to Atlantis to make it the market very best word processor. And, please, hurry up!
Francisco

Post by Francisco »

my friend… already lost the hopes!

:( :( tables is a dream :( :(
Andremusic

Post by Andremusic »

Nah, don 't lose hope, I am sure there is hard work done behind the screens! No doubt here. :lol:
Keep on Writing!

Atlantis 1.6.4.3 on Acer laptop, Aspire 1804WSMi, Pentium 4, 2 gb ram, Windows 7. iMac G5, Leopard 10.5.7, 2.5 GB ram. iPhone 3G. Coffee machine by Philips...
Robert

Re: Tables

Post by Robert »

Hi, André
You are spot on!
Thanks for supporting Atlantis.
Cheers,
Robert
luha

Post by luha »

Yes - tables please! Not that I miss tables, but I am tired of all the people nagging for tables.

mvh
Sigurd Hasle
Lambert John

Post by Lambert John »

Personally, I don't care about tables. I think if it served beer it would be the best word processor out there. Just my thirsty opinion of course.
maxqnz

Post by maxqnz »

Andremusic wrote:Nah, don 't lose hope, I am sure there is hard work done behind the screens! No doubt here. :lol:
Honesty and candour from the developers would have gone a long way toward diminishing the bitterness of some Atlantis users woh have been hearing "coming soon" now for 5 years or more. The honourable course of action would have been for the developers to have admitted way back then that tables were right at the bottom of their list of priorities, instead of insinuating that tables were just around the corner, no, we didn't mean this corner, the next, no not this corner, the next, no not this corner, etc. etc. for year after year after year. It's hard to escape the conclusion that the developers fund it easier to "fudge" the truth by holding out illusory hope of imminent tables than to risk losing clients by having the courage to honest.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Maxqnz, you act as we owe you something. There is no point to mention "failed promises" because we promised you nothing. We NEVER gave you any timetable. NEVER. So you have absolutely no point in accusing us of dishonesty. If you want to blame someone for their lack of honesty and courage, please find another place to do this.
medion

Post by medion »

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:55 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Possibly tables will be available before the end of 2006
???
http://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com/en ... light=2006
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It is trivial, but below is a definition for "possibly" from Colins COBUILD Dictionary:

You use possibly to indicate that you are not sure whether something is true or might happen.

When the forum administrator says that something "might happen", it is not the official announcement of the release date.
Andremusic

Post by Andremusic »

Maxqnz,
as long you are quoting me...

there is a nice other program called Microsoft Office, they have a word processor in it. It's only about $399/$239.

Personally, I don't like Word because it crashed on my pc more then once and it takes a lot of space on my hard drive and resources, but hé, it has tables.

I am happy with Atlantis, it is very cheap ($35), runs fast and is in my opinion very original with his control board and power type options. Why not using another WP in the meantime and wait until Atlantis comes with tables. I rather have a stable version that one that is made in rush and makes me louse my work only because users are keep pressing them to hurry up.

only my own thoughts about it...

André
Keep on Writing!

Atlantis 1.6.4.3 on Acer laptop, Aspire 1804WSMi, Pentium 4, 2 gb ram, Windows 7. iMac G5, Leopard 10.5.7, 2.5 GB ram. iPhone 3G. Coffee machine by Philips...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Suggesting the same feature again and again makes no sense. Such redundant postings are helping nobody. So please avoid requesting features when you are sure that they have been already requested.

As have been already said in the replies made earlier to similar posts requesting support for tables, Atlantis will support tables. Regrettably we cannot tell you any definite date. If you are interested in having tables in Atlantis, the only option is to wait. Please be patient. Requesting tables again and again will change nothing.

We do not have anything to add to the above. Accordingly, we will remove any new forum posting nagging for a table feature in Atlantis Word Processor and accusing us of dishonesty.

We are confident that the great majority of users and supporters of Atlantis Word Processor can bear with us a little longer and enjoy their favorite word processor for what it currently offers, which is a lot, especially if you take a look at the price tag.
Eduardo

Post by Eduardo »

Just keep doing your work, Atlantis team. I appreciate your efforts and honesty. Thanks for a great product.

Eduardo
maxqnz

Post by maxqnz »

admin wrote:Maxqnz, you act as we owe you something. There is no point to mention "failed promises" because we promised you nothing. We NEVER gave you any timetable. NEVER. So you have absolutely no point in accusing us of dishonesty. If you want to blame someone for their lack of honesty and courage, please find another place to do this.
I made no mention of failed promises, and stand by every word I posted.
maxqnz

Post by maxqnz »

Andremusic wrote:Maxqnz,
as long you are quoting me...

there is a nice other program called Microsoft Office, they have a word processor in it. It's only about $399/$239.

Personally, I don't like Word because it crashed on my pc more then once and it takes a lot of space on my hard drive and resources, but hé, it has tables.

I am happy with Atlantis, it is very cheap ($35),
André
I like Atlantis too, I use it every day. I also don't have MS Office installed, as I prefer OpenOffice, which is both free and supports two features I need that Atlantis does not offer - tables and Unicode. Atlantis pretends to offer Unicode, but in fact offers only a VERY limited and partial Unicode implementation which is utterly useless for Asian languages.

My post was not about the limitations of the software. It was about the reality that, until very recently, the software's devlopers refused to be candid about the development schedule for tables. When I need tables and Unicode, I use OpenOffice. When I need a "full-featured WordPad", I use Atlantis.
Francisco

Post by Francisco »

at least could say if they are working on this? I stop to use the Atlantis for needing to work with tables. it would very like to return to the Atlantis but I am disabled had the lack of this resource. I am not alone in this, some friends are in the same situation

:(
medion

Post by medion »

After all that has been said about tables, im sure when they do arive they will be very good indeed.
keyosuke

Post by keyosuke »

Hi everyone. I've been a fan of Atlantis for a long time, and I was nagging for the tables feature last year, so I know the feelings you have. I somehow didn't realize there were so many other forum threads asking for the same feature when I first became a fan, so I held out hope of getting the feature in a near future. That hope was misplaced. Once I realized there was little reason to think it would be coming in the immediate future, I began to examine alternatives. In this respect, I feel I should state my opinion and some facts below. (perhaps as an FAQ?)

1.)Should I keep asking for tables?
No. It's a waste of time. If you are asking for tables, it's probably because you haven't found the earlier extensive and expansive threads about this very same topic. It's clearly a waste of time to ask for something that isn't ready and won't be ready any sooner for all your complaining.

2.)But if I don't ask for tables on a regular basis, will the programmers of Atlantis forget?
Answer: I doubt it, since it's probably the largest reason people like ourselves choose another word processor or continue to use buggy Microsoft Office products or whatever else they're using. They know it is essential to their sales and so they're probably working on it as fast as they ever will.

3.)I don't like Microsoft Office or whatever I'm using, but I need tables support... so what do I use?
Answer:That depends on how badly you need tables. I see people on this forum taking 3 different roads away from this topic. One choice is to use Atlantis and only Atlantis and just avoid tables. A second option is to use Atlantis for things that don't require table use and to use another word processor for tables. I feel this is the most popular choice. A third choice people have taken is to purchase and use Microsoft Word or download Open Office and use nothing but that word processor (while complaining about how they wish they could leave it). All of these are viable options. A final option that could be grouped in with the previous one (if I made it more general) is the one I have chosen. I've found another word processor that does nearly everything I've needed in Microsoft Word Document editing, as well as anything else I've wanted from Atlantis, and it is called TextMaker. It is popular in Germany since it is actually cheaper than Atlantis for students to purchase for Windows or Linux. It is also available on a large variety of platforms, including pocket PC. Should you use Textmaker? That probably depends on if you like it. I find that I like Atlantis a whole lot more than TextMaker, but that I will not be able to tolerate MS Word or open Office and can not afford to go without features Atlantis is lacking, so I am forced to use TextMaker, as I see it as the perfect match for me at this current time. I eagerly look forward to the day when Atlantis gets table support and I am sure everyone who is related to the development of Atlantis is striving for that day to come.

So, until we get tables, it makes sense to be kind to people who ask for them nicely, because those people are just forum incompetants like myself, who were unable to find the numerous previous threads (some of them named poorly) and realize this is a moot point. I ask that everyone excersize common sense before annoying the Atlantis admins into banning accounts and hating their customers, as I'm sure is a serious risk if people keep being obnoxious and making accusations. If you need something in the meantime and Atlantis doesn't meet your needs, do as you have no choice but to do and please investigate MS Office, Open Office, TextMaker by Softmaker, MS Wordpad, or anything else you feel might serve your needs in the meantime.

On a note to anyone who is angry about the constant annoying begging for tables: Thanks to everyone for caring enough to suggest changes at all. I know that every time I ever suggested a feature it was because I was showing support by caring if this software even had that feature.
jayno

Post by jayno »

What is the latest position on this issue? I was all set to purchase until I realised Atlantis didn't have this function, which for me is an essential feature.

Jayno
Stirlitz

Post by Stirlitz »

I may be well banned for this post but I will dare to go on. I have been requesting tables for years until I was warned by the site admin. Anyone can find a lot of posts by searching with the keyword 'table' so I will not post all the links here, something I was warned against, but they still exist.
admin wrote:Maxqnz, you act as we owe you something. There is no point to mention "failed promises" because we promised you nothing. We NEVER gave you any timetable. NEVER. So you have absolutely no point in accusing us of dishonesty. If you want to blame someone for their lack of honesty and courage, please find another place to do this.
It does not help to be so aggressive toward your users and customers, both actual and would-be ones. Actually, maxqnz has a valid point. We (users) have been waiting for tables for SIX YEARS. Had we been told that we could not count on them within a decade, things might have been different for many. We are not in court so it makes no sense to find fault with words and quote their definition, but common sense says that you failed us users and gave us wrong expectations. Don’t be so defensive — again, no one is going to sue you, so no need to fight, especially when you are not right, even if there is nothing we can actually claim.

However, if it comes to promises, here is a quote from this thread http://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com/en ... c.php?t=32 dated by March 2001
admin wrote:Support for tables is scheduled for the next major release of Atlantis.
Does this mean that there has been no major release of Atlantis since 2001? Or is there the word 'possibly' missing?