Hot Calculator still badly wanted here

Request new features or suggest modifications to existing features of Atlantis.
spacebar22

Hot Calculator still badly wanted here

Post by spacebar22 »

I'm disappointed you still remove the hot calculator. Please give me download link to the last version that still had it.

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The latest version of Atlantis does have the Calculate command.

If you mean various measurement conversion functions ("liters to gallons", for instance), they are not supported by the Calculate command indeed. Sorry, but a word processor is not a tool for performing such conversions. There are plenty of dedicated tools on the Web.

The old freeware version of Atlantis Word Processor called Atlantis Nova still has the old Hot Calculator feature with the conversion functions.
spacebar22

Post by spacebar22 »

Hi Yes the Calculator function you reinstated in the current version is what I need. But, it does not work on Win XP SP2. If I type 12+2, highlight it and ALT + =. or hit the caclulator button , nothing happens. Same issue in the Beta. Do I have to enable this in options somewhere.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hi Spacebar22,
The “Calculate” command places the result on the Windows Clipboard. If you want the result of an operation to appear in Atlantis, you need to paste it (Ctrl+V).
HTH.
Cheers,
Robert
spacebar22

Post by spacebar22 »

Ah, thanks. But that really isn't as good for power users as the old functionality where Atlantis inserted the result. I don't think it used the clipboard then, or did it? Anyway the problem is that I have a clipboard manager that collects all clips (I think many do now), so a calculation has to be removed from the manager every time.

And even if Atlantis always used the clipboard before, having to paste manually seems to be an un-necessary extra step. Could we have a preference to do the paste always? I think there was one before.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Inserting the result to the document is not always a preferable option as well as it is not always possible to insert it automatically. For example, where to insert the result to when you have a column of numbers selected as a column block or multiple selection?

As I said in my previous post, the old functionality is available in the old freeware version of Atlantis. There you could find a dedicated "Hot Calculator" tab in the "Tools | Options..." dialog, and a number of other Hot Calculator-related features. They have been removed from the main version of Atlantis years ago.
spacebar22

Post by spacebar22 »

OK well give a second shortcut then to "calculate and replace selection" instead of "calculate and place to clipboard"? If multiple selections, paste over the first one.

Really you have some feature here that very few word processors have; I don't know why you feel so embarrassed about it. :=)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry, but we cannot revert to the old set of Calculate-related options in Atlantis. Word processor is not a calculator. There are plenty of dedicated tools available for download from the Web.

As I said in my previous message, the old Hot Calculator is available in the freeware Atlantis Nova. You can have both the full and freeware versions of Atlantis on the same PC.
vlk

It is very usefull when wordproc. is as well as calculator

Post by vlk »

I do not know anything about plenty of dedicated tools which work as well as calculator in the same way as atlantis nova.
I use this feature very often. Calculated result is inserted directly into text created with atlantis nova. I do not need insert calculated result into text extra from clipboard. And it is amazing.
I was very disappointed when I found out that advanced Atlantis wordprocessor do not support direct insert of calculated result. And there is no hope that atlantis will support this feature in future.
Vlk
andygrunt

Post by andygrunt »

I don't know anything about this 'hot calculator' you're talking about but, in case it's of use, the new bit of text replacement software I use, PhraseExpress, does many useful things and I've found it to be a great companion to Atlantis.

It also does calulation - perhaps it's worth a look for you?