open epub files

Request new features or suggest modifications to existing features of Atlantis.
johnvanhulst

open epub files

Post by johnvanhulst »

It would be great if Atlantis could open epub files as well (besides being able to save them).
DaleDe

Post by DaleDe »

Atlantis already provides tweak_epub which can open the ePub files. It is free. Atlantis cannot read html files which are actually inside the ePub. There is a product called Sigil that can open and edit ePub but it is not a word processor. It edits the html files directly which is totally different thing.
johnvanhulst

open epub files

Post by johnvanhulst »

So my suggestion was written too simple. I use Sigil regularly, I know an epub file consists of zipped HTML files with some added functionality.
What I wanted to say is: I would like Atlantis to open an epub, show it's web-layout (just like MS Word can show a *.doc document as web-layout), i.e. show the web pages inside the epub as one big document, so I can edit it this way and save it again as an epub file.
This would be much easier than using Sigil.
rstroud

Opening epub

Post by rstroud »

John, what you are asking for amounts to a second application (even if incorporated into Atlantis). I am sure that you are aware of this, since you use Sigil regularly.

Sometimes it is just best to use a second application, which is likely to be much better, honestly, than something added as an "increased function" utility to an existing program.

IMPORTANT: You may or may not know that Sigil has been discontinued. However, Calibre is now an epub editor as well as an ebook organizer. I have found it to be quite helpful in that capacity.

Since you know Sigil, you probably know all about Calibre also. I will make the following comments for those who are not familiar with it.

Calibre is an ebook organizer, ebook format converter, and ebook editor. It works remarkably well as an editor. You can see your ebook on one side of the screen and your code (the raw text with markup) on the other. I have used it to fix some crappy public-domain ebooks that I downloaded from internet sites. (Sometimes they are so poorly prepared that it is hopeless, but a lot of the time they just need some tweaking.)

My approach to ebook creation and management is:

1. I use Atlantis for writing and editing the final document.

2. I convert to epub/mobi with Atlantis. I cannot speak more highly of Atlantis as an epub maker. The code is really clean.

3. I run the epub through Calibre and see what it looks like. I may make some changes there, if necessary.

Calibre is free and is updated regularly and frequently (too frequently, in my opinion, as in about twice a month). It is about 53M in size, and it does great things. I recommend it highly. With the combination Atlantis + Calibre you have a really powerful tool.
rstroud

More on Sigil

Post by rstroud »

I wrote my last post on this subject last summer.

Since then Sigil has been reanimated. The latest release was on March 29, just two days ago.

Binaries (installers) and source code are available at:

https://github.com/user-none/Sigil/releases/tag/0.8.5
rstroud

Update about Sigil

Post by rstroud »

Since many of us who use Atlantis to create epub files may be using Sigil and Calibre for some tweaks to the epub files, I will add the following about Sigil.

John Schember has retired from Sigil development, but he has left the project in the hands of a couple of other people.

Here is how to get the current release from GitHub:

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/releases/

The current release (earlier this month) is 0.8.7.