Home site of Atlantis Word Processor
Atlantis Word Processor Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saving encrypted documents - cursor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Atlantis Word Processor Forum Index -> Betatesting
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:33 am    Post subject: Saving encrypted documents - cursor Reply with quote

An hourglass cursor when encrypted documents are being saved would stop Atlantis seeming to 'freeze' on my P200mx with 100mb ram.
admin

Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "save encrypted document" and "open encrypted document" are quite slow operations as for your PC. You simply should be more patient.

Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Slow Operations Reply with quote

I know, slow operations are what the hourglass cursor is for. Without it you're left waiting wondering whether/when the operation is finished.
Also if you're not used to it , you might think the computer's hung.

(On the open there's no problem as you can see when the document is opened. )

Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: To clarify Reply with quote

Its not the length of time it takes but that there's no indication when the save is finished/not finished... a status bar message or something else would do instead but the hourglass is what's usually used.
admin

Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are saving a document, there is a progress indication in the status bar.

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: oops Reply with quote

You're right. I haven't been using the status bar... I guess I could make sure that's showing but it seems silly to have to when there's a standard method of dealing with this.

What worst is with auto save on - every so often the computer freezes for a couple of seconds (out of the blue cause you don't know when save is going to happen) and without any indication of why you keystrokes have no effect or when they will again. This makes auto save so annoying when using encrypted documents that I have to turn it off.

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

What worst is with auto save on - every so often the computer freezes for a couple of seconds (out of the blue cause you don't know when save is going to happen) and without any indication of why you keystrokes have no effect or when they will again. This makes auto save so annoying when using encrypted documents that I have to turn it off.

I assume you mean Safeguard (as auto save)?

Have you tried assigning a sound effect to Safeguard? Even if you don't like using sounds effects you could disable all but this one. It might give some warning of when a save is happening.

Point it to "Windows\Media\notify.wav" or some other short wav file.

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the idea its a good one. but I don't think this is only going to be a problem for me.
admin

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest build of Atlantis also includes the "Initializing encryption ..." progress indication in the status bar. If the "View | Status Bar" command is checked in your Atlantis, it should include progress indication for each stage of the document encryption ("Initializing encryption", "Saving document", and "CRC Check").
yelodena

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could the cursor open a window without clicking on it? When a program was running a virus scan while minimized, my cursor went over the taskbar and the window was opened even though I did not click, how could that happen?
Robert

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which window got opened? Was it the Atlantis window? Or that of the virus scanner?
Were you saving a document from Atlantis? Was it an encrypted or normal document?
Which program was scanning for viruses? Which file(s) was it scanning?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Atlantis Word Processor Forum Index -> Betatesting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Did you know that ...

The clipboard contents are pasted as plain unformatted text if you press the Ctrl+Alt+Ins keys. The clipboard text is automatically stripped of all formatting and inserted at the current cursor position.