Missing [Alt]+XXXX

General comments and questions. Technical support.
luha

Missing [Alt]+XXXX

Post by luha »

Thank you very much for Unicode! But something has happened to the old [Alt]+XXXX-way of entering characters. Some characters appear properly, some are replaced with a «?», and some appear as a big blank space, but reappear when I try to change the font of the blank space back to the one I was using in the first place. Can you have a look at it?

mvh
Sigurd Hasle
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What version of Windows do you use and what character codes are you trying to insert?
luha

Post by luha »

I am using Windows XP Professional. Some of the characters I have tried
[Alt]+ 0149: •
[Alt]+ 0150: –
[Alt]+ 0151: —
came out as question marks (in the font «Symbol»).

[Alt]+ 0172: ¬
[Alt]+ 0171: «
[Alt]+ 0187: »
came out properly.

There seems to be a separation somewhere between 0159 (which becomes ?) and 0161 (which comes out as the proper ¡)

mvh
Sigurd Hasle
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You are supposed to type character Unicode codes displayed in the "Insert | Symbol" dialog of Atlantis. The "Symbol" font does not have a character with the Unicode code "149".
luha

Post by luha »

You are so right! But Times New Roman has a character 149 that looks like a round black dot. When I type [Alt]+149 in Times New Roman in the new version of Atlantis I get a question mark - and the font is changed to Symbol. That looks like a bug - or some setting I am not aware of - to me.

mvh
Sigurd Hasle
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please read carefully my previous post. You are supposed to type Unicode codes of characters displayed in the "Insert Symbol" dialog of Atlantis. There is NO character with Unicode code 149 in Times New Roman. As well as there is no printable character with such a code in the Unicode specification at all. The Unicode 149 (decimal) or 95 (hexadecimal) is a control symbol:
Attachments
149.png
149.png (3.1 KiB) Viewed 19016 times
Robert

Re: inserting characters

Post by Robert »

luha wrote:You are so right! But Times New Roman has a character 149 that looks like a round black dot. When I type [Alt]+149 in Times New Roman in the new version of Atlantis I get a question mark - and the font is changed to Symbol. That looks like a bug - or some setting I am not aware of - to me.
mvh
Sigurd Hasle
Greetings--
"149" is the (old) ASCII code for the bullet symbol.
The Unicode code for the same bullet symbol is
Decimal: 8226
Hexadecimal: 2022
Here are the HTML specifications for this symbol (from the so-called "Named Entities for HTML"):
• bull #8226; bullet, =black small circle, U2022 ISOpub
Cheers
Robert

Post by Guest »

OK. Now i get it. I am just confused because some of the Unicode numbers are the same as the old Ascii numbers - but there are no Unicode numbers between 126 and 160 - that is why I get a question mark when I try these numbers. Thanks!

mvh
Sigurd Hasle
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

With the latest build of Atlantis 1.6.1 you can also insert characters through the Alt+XXXX mode by typing their old ASCII codes (32 through 255).

To insert an ASCII character, type "0" before the ASCII code itself. For example, to insert the "Per Mile" sign (‰) whose ASCII code is 137, do the following:

1) Activate the “Num Lock” mode of your keyboard (press the Num Lock key if the Num Lock indicator is not highlighted on your keyboard).
2) Press and hold the Alt key down.
3) Type 0137 on the numeric pad (do not forget to type 0 before the ASCII code 137).
4) Release the Alt key.

If a code is not preceded by 0, Atlantis assumes that a Unicode character has to be inserted.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Anonymous wrote:but there are no Unicode numbers between 126 and 160 - that is why I get a question mark when I try these numbers.
When Atlantis cannot find a font that includes a glyph for the required symbol (for the required code), Atlantis displays a message saying that Atlantis cannot find a font. Those question marks in your case are displayed because some of the fonts on your system say that they have glyphs for the Unicode character 149. But those glyphs do not seem to be valid symbol images.
luha

Post by luha »

admin wrote:With the latest build of Atlantis 1.6.1 you can also insert characters through the Alt+XXXX mode by typing their old ASCII codes (32 through 255).

To insert an ASCII character, type "0" before the ASCII code itself. For example, to insert the "Per Mile" sign (‰) whose ASCII code is 137, do the following:
Excellent! That is exactly what I've been doing all the time - now I can keep doing it! Thank you very much!

mvh
Sigurd Hasle
Robert

Re: Unicode Numeric References

Post by Robert »

Anonymous wrote:there are no Unicode numbers between 126 and 160 - that is why I get a question mark when I try these numbers.
Greetings–
If you go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HT ... references, you will find a complete “List of HTML decimal character references” (it might take quite some time to load, it is a very big page). It says this about forbidden Unicode codes:
0000 ~ 0008, 0011 ~ 0012, 0014 ~ 0031 and 0127 are not permitted.
0128 ~ 0159 are not permitted.
If you go to http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/utf8-t1.html, you will find an almost complete list of Unicode codes, both decimal and hexadecimal.
You will also see that codes #127 through 159 are unavailable.
Cheers
Robert